Two oral antiviral medications for the treatment of COVID-19 are currently available. These medications have received emergency use authorization from the FDA for the treatment of certain non-hospitalized patients who are at high risk of progression to severe COVID-19. The U.S. Government has purchased these medications and is distributing them to states and territories. They are widely available at multiple pharmacies across Idaho. Both medications must be started within 5 days of symptom onset and require a prescription.
Monoclonal Antibody Therapy
Our bodies naturally make antibodies to fight infection. Monoclonal antibodies are like the antibodies your body makes to fight other viruses, but they are made in a lab and are designed to target the coronavirus spike protein. When the antibodies bind to the spike protein, they block the virus from entering your body’s cells. This keeps the virus from spreading to more of your cells and can help those who are at higher-risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19.
Please visit the HHS COVID-19 Therapeutics Locator to see the locations that have received U.S. Government-procured COVID-19 therapeutics and the current inventories. All of the treatments require a prescription or doctor’s referral. Please contact your healthcare provider to see if you qualify for prevention (Evusheld) or treatment (other therapeutics) of COVID-19 and for further instructions.
Resources for Healthcare Providers
Fact Sheets for Healthcare Providers
- Bebtelovimab Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- Evusheld Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- Molnupiravir Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- Paxlovid Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- NIH COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines
- Side-by-Side Overview of Therapeutics Authorized or Approved for the Prevention of COVID-19 Infection or Treatment of Mild-Moderate COVID-19
- FDA Paxlovid Eligibility Screening Checklist Tool for Prescribers
- Pfizer Drug Interaction Checker
- University of Liverpool COVID-19 Drug Interactions
Resources for Locations Administering/Dispensing COVID-19 Therapeutics
- ASPR updates on therapeutics, including shelf-life extensions
- COVID-19 therapeutics threshold quantities by jurisdiction
Facilites interested in obtaining U.S. Government-procured therapeutics to dispense (oral antivirals) or administer (monoclonal antibodies) should email DPHInquiries@dhw.idaho.gov.