Page last updated on November 10th, 2020 at 09:29 am
Despite ongoing impacts of COVID-19, numerous recreational opportunities exist in Idaho’s outdoor areas.
Visitors are encouraged to enjoy a hike, a ride or a camping trip but should adhere to best health practices to prevent virus transmission, including staying at least six-feet away from others and avoiding groups of people who are not immediate family members or housemates. Please wear a mask if close contact is unavoidable.
Here are some places to go:
Idaho Agencies and Lands
- Parks and Recreation (open for day use, camping): https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/covid-19/
- Fish & Game (hunting and fishing seasons unaffected with Wildlife Management Areas open; hatcheries, shooting ranges and some department functions closed or limited): https://idfg.idaho.gov/covid19
- Historical Society (public sites closed until Jun 12): https://history.idaho.gov/hours-and-locations/
- Idaho Department of Lands (recreation areas generally open): https://www.idl.idaho.gov/about-us/recreating-on-endowment-lands/
- Ridge to Rivers Trail System – Boise/Ada County (trails open; physical distancing encouraged): https://www.cityofboise.org/departments/parks-and-recreation/covid-19-update
Federal Agencies and Lands
- Bureau of Land Management (open but with possibly reduced services): https://www.blm.gov/alert/blm-idaho-covid-19-information
- National Park Service:
- Craters of the Moon (Visitor Center and all monument caves closed; Loop Road and Lava Flow Campground open): https://www.nps.gov/crmo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
- City of Rocks National Reserve (open for day use): https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/city-rocks-national-reserve/
- Hagerman Fossil Beds open but no visitor services
- Minidoka National Historic Site (Visitor Center closed)
- National Forests:
- Forests remain open with some closures in place at campgrounds, parking areas for snowmobiles and hot springs: https://www.fs.usda.gov/news/boise/news-events
- Map with updated information: https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d0588d7e48ee430da80c5ad88c48b43d
- Idaho Power facilities (mostly open with a few closures): https://www.idahopower.com/community-recreation/recreation/about-parks-and-campgrounds/open-recreation-sites/
- Private campgrounds: List of camping options – be sure to call ahead to know if the destination is open.